on 9/14/2000 8:49 AM, jakob krabbe at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> We use a 13-tape rotation. We swap tapes during the day on Monday, full
>> (recycle) backup on Monday night, normal backups Tue-Sat nights. In
>> addition, we have an FTP server offsite with one FTP backup set on it. Every
>> two weeks we do a recycle backup to it over the weekend (takes anywhere from
>> 24-36 hours, typically) with normal backups every evening.
>
> Seems like you're a step ahead of us...
>
> Exactley how much data are we refering to here? What bussines are you in,
> and what type of tapes are we takling about?
>
> We're an advertisement agency, backing up clients only (at the moment we
> have no server) and approximatley 20 - 30 GB as total... Gee, I have no clue!

We have a similar amount of data. A full backup plus a week's worth of
partials fits on a single VXA tape with room to spare (so far, anyway).

> FTP:ing stuff off-site seems little overkill for us, but if the VXA we
> bought was shipped with an autoloader I wouldn't look in to getting a
> tapedrive with an autoloader...!
>
> Actually, I don't like backups that are so much human dependent as the one
> we use. Changing tapes daily can't be scripted and that's why it sucks... ;-)

Exactly, which is why we went to the VXA from our DDS-3. It all needs to fit
on one tape in order to be easy. You don't have to FTP offsite necessarily;
if you have another building, or even just a server on the other side of the
same building, that will get you a little more security. The farther the
physical separation, the better.

<><
Jon L. Gardner '89, Computer Systems Manager <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Texas A&M University Dept. of Food Services <http://food.tamu.edu/>
Tel 979.458.1839 * Fax 979.845.2157 * Hip 979.229.4323
PGP public key available at <http://food.tamu.edu/pgp/jon.html>