on 11/3/00 10:22 AM, Sara M at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am trying to archive files (mostly powerpoint) from the server to a
> cd.  The data contained is highly confidential.  I was wondering if
> Retrospect is capable of password protecting files during an archive
> process.  What I am hoping to find is that once the files are archived,
> to open the files, you must know the password.  If Retrospect does not
> have these capabilities, is there any other programs available to do
> this?  Setup:  Blue and White G3, Retrospect 4.2, lots of RAM, up to date
> firmware.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mac OS 9 has encryption capabilities, and while the experts debate just how
good it is, you might still want to try it. You could encrypt the files
before you archive them and while users would be able to restore the files,
they would still have to encrypt them to view them.

Don
Don Foy              Herald-Citizen
Webmaster and Network Administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]