Hi,

For details on Retrospect's security options, see Tech Note 310 at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=technotes

I've outlined the basics below.

There are four areas of security within Retrospect and its client software:

-    The Retrospect application password
-    Backup Set password protection and encryption
-    Client security codes
-    Network (Link) Encryption

The first two deal with securing the application and the data in your backup
set.

Retrospect Application Password prevents unauthorized personnel from using
the Retrospect application. It requires that the user type in a password
when Retrospect launches or when the user tries to halt an operation in
unattended mode.

Backup Set Encryption can be set to three levels when securing a new Backup
Set:

- Password Only (no encryption): The data itself is unchanged, but a
password is required whenever the Backup Set is accessed.

- SimpleCrypt (fast): SimpleCrypt provides commercial-level security without
appreciably slowing the backup process on all but the slowest computers.

- DES (more secure): DES (Data Encryption Standard) is an advanced form of
data encryption that achieves bank-level security. The effect on backup
speed is entirely dependent on the processor, but may take three to four
times as long as an equivalent backup to a Backup Set that is not encrypted.

Retrospect can store the Backup Set password for you so you do not always
have to enter it to use the Backup Set. Go to Configure>Backup Sets, select
the desired Backup Set, click Configure, and then click the Options tab. You
may select from the following:

- Ask for any access: Retrospect will prompt the user to enter the Backup
Set's password, preventing unattended operation.

- Save for scripted access (default): The password is not required for
scheduled executions of scripts, but Retrospect still requires that the user
enter the password for all other uses of the Backup Set.

- Save for any access: You will never be asked for the password unless the
configuration file is moved, deleted, or lost.

HTH,

Irena Solomon
Dantz Technical Support