Thanks Christian. Adrian and I found out that the SSH key works fine.
The problem was that when RB checks the validity of the repo
(GitClient.is_valid_repository) it actually does Popen in core.py to
run a command 'git ls-remote u...@mydomain.com:/repo.git HEAD',
however, the child process doesn't have the same environment as the
parent: it is missing rbssh. Looking into the code, I see you did
register the rbssh environment in sshutils.py. But that didn't work
for us. We found this solution:
http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/issues/detail?id=2108#c0,
instead of making a symlink, we created a wrapper that explicitly
lists all necessary environments.

It works now! Thanks a lot!

/Eric