What's the reason we use rbssh instead of ssh? We need more control over
the environment and SSH keys than ssh allows for.

So.. wait, let's take a step back. Are you using a GitLab repository here,
or are you specifying a standard Git repository and pointing to the local
path, or are you specifying an SSH or git protocol path?

rbssh should only ever be involved if you're using an SSH/git-based path.

It'd help if I could see more of your repository configuration. Can you
also check your reviewboard.log file (turn it on if you haven't already)
and see if there are any errors or debug info related to this?