Gremlins it is.

That's definitely not where our code places that element.

Would it be possible to get the complete HTML of one of your diff viewer
pages? Preferably one with content you don't mind me having.

It's past 2AM here, so I'll probably have to resume this tomorrow. Thanks
for all your quick responses and detailed info!