On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Chris Cannam
<can...@all-day-breakfast.com> wrote:
> On 13 May 2012 23:56, Cláudio Pinheiro <taup...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rosegarden needs broad visibility by potential users, so it can generate a
>> critical mass that would attract developers that would maintain a sustained
>> growth and (even) better codebase and documentation. To achieve it
>> Rosegarden must walk the multiplatform path. It must be the top priority now
>> for the future's greater good.
>
> I appreciate this argument, and thank you for articulating it well.
> But I'm afraid I just don't see the evidence in other applications
> that broadening your user base, by porting to other platforms with a
> smaller proportion of developers, helps a great deal with development
> effort.

One thing I have noticed in the development of digital painting
applications like MyPaint and Krita (two other of my favorite Linux
apps, along with Rosegarden & Ardour!), is that if you create Windows
versions of applications originally developed on Linux, you have to do
a lot of hand holding for those users to either help them compile
stuff, or be prepared for loud complaining because the Windows support
isn't as good as the Linux support (especially for development
branches). Windows users especially don't quite seem to get the open
source development model (all they see if "free software that I don't
have to pirate!"). Unless there are dedicated Windows developers to a
project, Windows support will flounder until someone gets around to
fixing bugs or building a new version (funny how the users who
complain the most don't seem to want to volunteer their time to help).
Unfortunately, I think this gives some Windows users the impression
that the Linux developers are snobby, unhelpful and arrogant.

BTW, I was happy to see the new Rosegarden announced in the latest KVR
newsletter today!

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
it would overturn the world."