I'm interested in a Mac port, and I may help with coding.
Most of my coding experience involves portable code between Linux, Windows,
ARM and microcontrollers, and I develop for Mac as a hobby.
Having said that, I believe the biggest problem I see today in Rosegarden
is the following mentality:
"I'm a Linux user and I want a tool to help me making music on Linux.". So
Rosegarden is chosen because it's the most comprehensive DAW for the Linux
platform, making the choice to use it subordinated to the choice of which
operating system one wants to use. As the Linux-using musicians
demographics is a tiny one is somewhat natural to expect that Rosegarden's
visibility is minimal. And as Linux-using musicians programmers with free
time and interest are even rarer, things pile up on the TODO queue (111
open bugs and 144 open feature requests).
Let's take the opposite example: Mixxx. Multiplatform, Qt-based,
low-latency DJ mixing program, runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X,
GPL-licensed, free in App Store, has 800+ reviews (4.5 stars) and a
thriving community.
What's the main difference between Mixxx and Rosegarden as end-user
products? When somebody wants to go into DJ'ing he/she can choose Mixxx to
do the job as a (better) alternative to the commercial ones. When somebody
wants to write music with a DAW he/she'll try to use a program that
fulfills its needs. If he/she uses Linux Rosegarden is a choice. Had
Rosegarden be multiplatform, the mentality would be "I want a tool to help
me making music" instead of "I'm a Linux user and I want a tool to help me
making music on Linux.". When we remove the platform from the equation we
broaden Rosegarden's target audience tenfold? Thirtyfold? If we were able
to have iOS and Android ports, oh my.
Rosegarden needs broad visibility by potential users, so it can generate a
critical mass that would attract developers that would maintain a sustained
growth and (even) better codebase and documentation. To achieve it
Rosegarden must walk the multiplatform path. It must be the top priority
now for the future's greater good. With this in mind, somebody said that
would be able to recruit coders to work on a Mac port, please do so and ask
them to do it in a multiplatform way. Somebody said that could help with
the homepage. Please step up and do something "seksy", atractive. Let's
have commitment. Let's make Rosegarden reach what no other DAW I'm aware of
has reached and Mixxx, LibreOffice and others had reached in their
respective niches. We have lots of success examples all around us, so it's
time to act upon.