Ode,
Thanks for the interesting reply. I had seen your references to Frank
Key before but I did not make the connection to the Efficiency chart.
Trying to look into the issue further turned up some fascinating
information. For example, here is a later comment made by the person who
posted the link to the chart:

 "The ionic version might be best for throat, sinus and other
applications you mention - IF you use the Utopia Silver ionic silver -
but the colloidal version works well too because it contains about
25-30% ionic silver and the ultra small particles still give more
surface area than most purely ionic products.

Just so you know, it is ionic silver that actually works - not
colloidal silver. The value of having the silver initially in
colloidal form is to get it past the stomach acids in the digestion
process. Colloidal silver converts to ionic upon contact with single
cell pathogens and at the cellular level where needed."

So, it is the ionic silver that is effective and the colloidal silver
converts to ionic upon contact with single cell pathogens. But as I
understand it, the issue with ionic silver is that the HCl in the
stomach converts the ionic silver to silver chloride which is insoluble
and the silver chloride molecule is to large to pass through the
intestinal wall into the bloodstream. I found that this too is
controversial, with one theory that ammonia created in the body can
convert the silver chloride into another form of silver that is
adsorbable into the body. This led to a webpage that resurrects some
silver list message exchanges back in 2001 that provide a window into
some times when the silver list hosted some very controversial and
interesting people, many of which we are fortunate to still have
available for counsel. One statement I found especially intriguing was
found at
http://www.gaiaresearch.co.za/Assets/Images/Pdf/Ammonia%20Hypothesis%20o
f%20Ionic%20Silver%20Utility%20In%20Vivo.pdf and I quote:

"The following is abstracted from an online debate between Francis Key,
Principal Scientist and
Founder, Colloidal Science Laboratory, New Jersey, USA, who holds that
ionic silver
cannot possibly have anti-microbial utility in the human body, and
Stuart Thomson,
Director and Founder, the Gaia Research Institute, Knysna, Republic of
South Africa, who
argues that ionic silver is indeed so active via ammonia and
metalloprotein mechanisms.
Stuart exposed Frank as a scam artist with massive vested commercial
interests in propounding his
claim. One of Frank's accomplices, Mike Devour, a self-proclaimed
libertarian and owner of the Silver List, promptly banned Stuart from
further participation on the forum for life. Having no permission to
reproduce the entire debate, which was expunged from the Silver List
archive database, Stuart has been able to reproduce only his
contribution, which fortunately used a format quoting competitor's
contentious statements before demolishing them, so rendering such
statements effectively dual intellectual property."

Being ignorant on the subject, I have no opinion except to say that that
must have been quite an interesting period. I wish I could take you and
some of the other silver gurus to lunch and hear some of the stories you
must have.

But back to the issue. I also found the following:

"Below I will quote directly from an article titled "Comparative
Analysis Study Shows Ionic Silver to Be Up to 10,000 Times More
Effective Than Particulate Colloidal Silver: the End of the Great
Particulate vs. Ionic Silver Debate," written by former U.S. Army medic
by R.D. Todd:

"The results were astonishing! With or without the HCl mixture added,
the Staphylococcus cultures (both S-1 and S-2) on the plates were
virtually eradicated in just four minutes when treated with ionic
silver. But the culture plates treated with the so-called "true colloid"
particulate silver showed only a slight reduction in the bacterial
count!

The principal conclusions from the study are as follows:
* Before being treated with HCl, the ionic species of silver achieves
total kill in four minutes, and is at least 100 times more potent than
the particulate form of silver.
* The particulate form of silver, which does contain a small amount of
silver-ions, loses almost all its antibacterial potency when the ionic
silver component is removed (a result of the reaction to HCl).
* Comparative antibacterial potency loss in ionic-silver, due to the
same HCl treatment, is negligible.
* After being treated with HCl, under the same experimental conditions,
the ionic-silver is now shown to be a whopping 10,000 times more potent
than the particulate silver.
The results of this study clearly show that ionic species of silver
dramatically outperformed the particulate species of silver. In fact, it
was not even close!"

I did a search on the study and the Army medic R. D. Todd and found
nothing but was informed that if I bought a 500 page book the study
would be provided in full detail in the book. Question, does anyone know
anything about the study and it's validity?

Thanks,
    Styeve N