Le 2012-04-03 à 15:41, Guoliang a écrit :

> Hi, Remi:
>
> Pls read my comments below.
>
> 2012/4/3 Rémi Després <despres.r...@laposte.net>
>
> Le 2012-04-03 à 14:43, guoliang han a écrit :
>
>> Hi, Remi:
>>
>> I don't think my case illustrates MAP-T needs to remain experimental, my
>> comments are below:
>>

>> 2012/4/3 Rémi Després <despres.r...@laposte.net>
>> Hi, Guoliang,
>>
>> Interesting enough, the example you give illustrates that MAP-T needs to
>> remain experimental, more than any other solution.
>>
>> 1.
>> RFC6145 doesn't say that a PTB<1280 WILL BE changed to PTB=1280. It
>> specifies two behaviors, one that does this, and one that doesn't. Which one
>> to choose isn't AFAIK specified in the MAP-T draft.
>>

>> RFC6145 says in Section 6: "It SHOULD be possible to configure a translator
>> for either of the two approaches", the first approach is that "IPv6 hosts,
>> IPv6-host-based firewalls, and IPv6 network firewalls can be administered in
>> compliance with Section 4.3.1 of [RFC4890]", the second approach is to
>> change PTB MTU value to 1280 in case PTB<1280 and set DF bit to 0 in case
>> the packet is less than or equal to 1280 bytes, if the requirements of the
>> first approach can't be met. It doesn't mean the administrator can refuse to
>> take the second approach according to his will.
>>

>> 2.
>> With 4rd-U, an ICMPv4 PTB<1280 always goes to its destination unchanged.
>> This is exactly what is necessary for PMTU discovery to work.
>>
>> Actually, what I worry about is whether IPv6 packets of 4rd-U embedding
>> ICMPv4 packets could  traverse current IPv6 firewalls successfully.
>
> Typical use cases of 4rd-U have no firewall between BRs and CEs.
> If some would exist, they should be configured to let ICMPv4 payloads go
> through (Protocol = 1)
> This is like configuring them to accept IPv4 headers in IPv6 payloads
> (Protocol = 4)
>
> Hope so. Still anticipating experimental results proving that yet.
>

>> 3.
>> Now, you suggest to replace DF=1 by DF=0 in BRs. This differs AFAIK from
>> RFC6145, and therefore from MAP-T.
>>
>> See Section 6 of RFC6145.
>
> This isn't in RFC6145, simply a reference to (*) below.
> If I misunderstood, please explain what.
>
> You surely misunderstood that. I mentioned "in that case", instead of
> replacing DF=1 by DF=0 in all cases. Replacing DF bit only occurs in the case
> that incoming packet size is less that 1280 bytes, which is exactly the
> requirement of RFC6145.

The so called "corner case" where RFC6145 looses the DF=1 is when a packet with
DF=1 is already fragmented by its source.
In this case, because there are several fragments, translates back to IPv4 with
DF=0.

In the example you give, RFC6145 doesn't add a fragment header, in the IPv4 to
IPv6 translation because the packet has DF=1 and isn't fragmented (sec 4).
The inverse translation, seeing no fragment header, the DF bit is normally set
to 1 (sec 5.1). (A configuration option is mentioned so that the node MAY set
it to 0 in some conditions, but MAP-T makes clear this must not be the case:
"the IPv4 packets with DF=1 will be translated to IPv6 packets without
fragmentation header and will be translated back to IPv4 packets with DF=1".)

>> When we have a detailed report on which parts of MAP-T have been validated,
>> with which options of RFC6145, it will be easier to analyze scenarios like
>> the one you propose.
>>

>> In any case, thanks for providing one more evidence that the MAP-T
>> specification isn't as clear as claimed to all those who support it, and in
>> particular to some also criticize 4rd-U with invalid arguments.
>>
>>     Regards,
>> RD
>>
>> In fact, MAP-T is clear enough to be deployed without any problems, if you
>> read RFC6145 carefully.
>
> Replacing IPv4 PTB<1280 by IPv4 PTB=1280 should AFAIK be avoided for IPv4
> PMTU discovery to work.
> Still waiting for a clarification on this issue.
>
> If the translator set DF bit to 0 in case the packet is less than or equal to
> 1280 bytes, and replace PTB<1280 by PTB=1280, there are no problems on the
> data path, whether in single/double translation.

In any case, not a MAP-T feature.

RD

> Regards,
> Guoliang
>

> Regards,
> RD
>

>> regards,
>> Guoliang
>>

>> Le 2012-04-03 à 05:26, 韩国梁 a écrit :
>>
>>> +1.
>>>
>>> As a follower of MAP team, I participated much in developing and deploying
>>> double-translation in CERNET. As far as I am concerned, in the translation
>>> scenario,
>>> 4rd-U only solved some corner cases but missed some other cases