hi Woj,

thanks but it looks you didn't answer my questions somewhere maybe because
my questions were not clearly expressed. ;-) inline..

2012/6/27 Wojciech Dec <wdec.i...@gmail.com>

> Hello Maoke,
>
> inline...
>
> On 27 June 2012 12:55, Maoke <fib...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hi Woj,
>>
>> thanks a lot for the clarification.
>>
>> 2012/6/27 Wojciech Dec <wdec.i...@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi Maoke,
>>>
>>> inline...

>>> Answer 1: Subscriber = MAP CE. We will clarify the term.
>>>

>> got it.

>>> Answer 2: mode = forwarding mode, also known as transport mode. There
>>> are two of these, translation and encapsulation. No relation between the
>>> rest of the things you mention
>>>

>> okay. then please clearly revise the wording to avoid confusing the
>> readers. only after the terms/wordings are revised, the MAP deployment is
>> able to follow these well-defined words and terms.

>>> Answer 3: What do you mean by resource for deployment?? It has, and
>>> always has been an IPv6 prefix and an IPv4 address. This is the same in
>>> *all* of this solution space. The split in terms of how one arrives at the
>>> IPv4 address and port-range has always been variable in MAP.
>>> Additional point: There is no newly introduced 1:1 mode, as the spec
>>> hasn't changed. Folks who implemented according to the previous spec, whihc
>>> you seem to indicate had no 1:1 mode see no difference.
>>>

>> as you clarified CE = subscriber, it is ok. but a new question:
>>
>> question #3.1: in the 1:1 mode, how long the PSID is? how long the
>> EA-bits? i understand the bit relationship described in the Figure 7 is the
>> native property of the MAP algorithm. but it looks to me that 1:1 mode has
>> nothing related to this figure. it breaks the relation o = p + q. it is
>> hard to accept that the 1:1 mode is not newly introduced alien. even an
>> alien were welcome, i would like to suggest the authors prepare a text at
>> Figure 7 stating "this is nosense to the 1:1 mode".
>>

> The relation of o = p + q holds, for all values of p and q giving 0 <= o
> <=48. Given that we have resticted MAP to positive values of p and q,
> although negative were suggested, that provides you the range of p and q.

then there are two possible understanding to the "1:1" case:

A. EA-bit becomes zero (it is surely not excluded by the MAP architecture),
o = 0 => p = q = 0.
   p = 0 means the whole IPv4 address (/32) is applied in the mapping
algorithm, with no any bits remained in the generated IPv6 address.
   q = 0 means the PSID length is zero, and therefore the CE working with
such an mapping rule has a (full) IPv4 address without sharing to any
others.

B. CE works with a shared or not shared IPv4 address while it is considered
that the CE is set to work in 1:1 mode.
   if shared, there IS a PSID assigned to the CE but (artificially) not
inserted into the MAP IPv6 address for the CE.

if your "1:1 mode" means A, it is fine and i totally agree that it is a
naturally established case of the MAP;
if your "1:1 mode" means B, i must say the MAP addressing algorithm is
abandoned for this special mode de facto.

i understand current MAP is talking B. please confirm!

up to now, my understanding is: containing the explanation on A and
clarifying its use case would make MAP spec comprehensive, while containing
the text meaning B makes MAP spec a low-quality and confusing doc.

>> question #3.2: then about the rule, for ONE rule, i see only, in Section
>> 5:
>> * Rule IPv6 prefix (including prefix length)
>>
>> * Rule IPv4 prefix (including prefix length)
>>
>> * Rule EA-bits length (in bits)
>>
>> * Rule Port Parameters (optional)
>>
>> (as the 5th "forwarding mode" has been confirmed as a domain
>> configuration)
>>
>> i don't see there is a PSID value in this tuple, nor i see it in the
>> example in Sec 5.2, 5.3 for the Given rules.
>>

> Well, if you look at the info list passed in an FMR you will see that
> everything is there allowing the derivation of a PSID for a given
> destination if/when needed and/or the port range from a given FMR.

let's make an example similar to Section 5.2 page 16, but in the EA-length
= 0:

CE X:
Forwarding Mapping Rule: {
    2001:db8:0:2:3:4:5:6/128 (Rule IPv6 prefix, call it /64 is no problem),
    192.0.2.18/32 (Rule IPv4 prefix),
    0 (Rule EA-bits length)
  }
PSID offset: 4 (default value as per section 5.1.3)

this FMR stored in BR, to my understanding, is a valid and native MAP rule.
it corresponds to the above 1:1 case A. when a packet
(**)
   IPv4 destination address: 192.0.2.18
   IPv4 destination port: 9030

comes, it is no doubt that the packet can be correctly forwarded to the
above CE X.

however, if there is a PSID for CE X and CE Y, sharing the same IPv4
address, but the PSID is not appear in the Rule IPv6 Prefix (as EA bits are
null):

CE X: same as (*)

CE Y:
Forwarding Mapping Rule: {
    2001:db8:1:2:4:5:6:7/128 (Rule IPv6 prefix),
    192.0.2.18/32 (Rule IPv4 prefix),
    0 (Rule EA-bits length)
  }
PSID offset: 4 (default value as per section 5.1.3)

when the packet (**) arrives at the BR, please tell me: which CE's IPv6
address will be selected for the MAP-E or MAP-T?

> In the case of EA=0, the prefix is enough for forwarding.
>

>> if Section 5 is not applied to the 1:1 mode, an explicit text "This
>> section is nonsense to the 1:1 mode" is required. if a PSID value is to be
>> added into the rule, i understand it is hard to call "not newly introduced"
>> stuff.
>>

> As explained, it is not :-) And again, I bring your attention to what
> several implementers said about this, all of whom used previous drafts as
> their spec.

NOTE: if you try to add a explicit PSID into the FMR, i don't think "what
several implementers said about this, all of whom used previous drafts as
their spec" can prove anything.

if you don't mean to add anything new in the FMR, admitting that the 1:1
case is actually the case A that i mentioned above, we can finish this
thread soon with a consensus to modify the text on 1:1 clarifying this
understanding.

>>>  Disabling the 1:1 mode would actually require a spec change.

>>> Answer 4: Confirmed, intent is for it to be per domain.

>>> Answer 5: No need to enumerate, because there is no relation between
>>> these (answered above)
>>>

>> question #5.1: do you mean, for example, when i decided the domain
>> forward mode, e.g. MAP-T, it is fine that i deploy 1:1 for CE.A while N:1
>> for CE.B, right? please confirm this.
>>

> Each CE is configured independently. In case you mean to ask about two
> CPEs in the same domain having different domain configurations (eg BMR), I
> would like to point out that this makes them be in separate domains...

>>> in the architecture prevents any other provisioning mechanisms to be used
>>> incl dhcpv4, snmp, etc.
>>>

>>  still confusing.
>> Question #7.1: is what the MAP *can* use a part of MAP spec suite, e.g.,
>> MAP-DHCP? please clarify explicitly: in the condition of Section 7.1, NAT44
>> must be disable or not?
>>

> MAP is not defined or restricted to use of dhcpv6. As I state above, if
> one wishes to use any other provisioning mechanism, then that is fine.

please answer my question straightforwardly.
Question #7.2: is MAP-DHCP a native MAP component? Yes or No.
Question #7.3: when MAP-DHCP is used, NAT44 for a 1:1 mode CE MUST be
disabled or not? Yes or No.

>>> has no IPv4 address configured then NAT44 is to be disabled (kind of
>>> obvious)
>>>

>> much more confusing.
>> Question #8.1: please clarify if this CPE has no IPv4 stack enabled or
>> has only no IPv4 address configured (statically or dynamically). how it
>> works?
>>

> Sorry, but your question doesn't appear to be quite logical. You asked,
> "what is the consequence of disabling NAT44 functionality" in the context
> of draft text which effectively says (which could be clearer) "disable
> NAT44 if there is no IPv4 address". Perhaps you could clarify what you see
> as running NAT44 without an IPv4 address, and then we can talk about its
> consequences (it does not appear to be MAP issue however).

here my question is trying to understand what do you mean with the term
"the CPE has no IPv4 address configured". let me change a way of asking:
Question #8.2: does "the CPE has no IPv4 address configured" work in
IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack or IPv6 only?

Question #8.3: if "the CPE has no IPv4 address configured" works in
IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack, why it "has no IPv4 address configured"? how its IPv4
stack works? if it works with IPv6 only, it sounds a case of single
translation, out of the scope of MAP, right?

Question #8.4: if there is no IPv4 address nor IPv4 stack, where do we need
to *disable* the NAT44? i agree with you that "NAT44 is disabled" here is
obvious but i see it is too obvious to cost a "MUST" in the specification.
"MUST disable" means WE, the HUMAN, MUST make an action according to the
specification. question clarified? please confirm that the editor/author of
this text refers the same thing as you interpreted.

thanks and regards,
maoke