I assume attaching a water hose to my test valve wouldn't help, as the pressure from inside and outside would be the same. How do you suggest I add pressure to my system?

On 10/12/2016 9:52 AM, Steele, Andrew wrote:

I've heard of contractors pumping up sprinkler systems a few lbs over domestic supply, rather than leaving the sprinkler at supply pressure, so there is no subsequent flow alarm after running an Inspectors test.

For example, our City water pressure trends up in the very late hours, then down as daytime usage increases. This is about a five to eight pound change, sometimes it's enough to cause systems with failed check valves and short flow detection cycles, to alarm.

On Oct 12, 2016 8:38 AM, "Steele, Andrew" <andrew.ste...@daytonohio.gov> wrote:

    Check valve failure, so that the sprinkler leg is no longer isolated?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Sprinklerforum
    [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On Behalf
    Of Barry Levine
    Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:01 AM
    To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
    Subject: Seeking false water flow alarm suggestions

    I drained all the water from my pipes when I installed a new water
    filter/softener system in my home. After installing the new
    system, which replaced some 3/4" pipe with 1" pipe in my home
    water system, I have been getting false alarms from my Potter
    Electric Signal Co VS-SP flow sensor. I flushed my sprinkler
    system using the drain and the test valve, yet I believe some air
    pockets may still remain in my two areas of coffered ceilings,
    where the sprinklers sit 1 foot above the rest of the system.
    Potter recommends replacing the VS-SP with a VSR-ST. I'd prefer
    not spending the money to replace the sensor, but I'd like to hear
    from the professionals before I make that decision. I'm thinking
    there may be other solutions, especially since I never had any
    false alarms during the previous 20+ years. Possibly I could
    attach saddle valves between each of the two sprinklers in the two
    coffered ceilings and bleed the air out. Unfortunately, I've never
    had any long-term luck with saddle valves, as they have all become
    inoperative over time. I've attached a photo of my water system in
    case that might be helpful. Feel free to ask any questions or
    offer any solutions. Thank you.

emailfooterold

_Web <http://www.daytonohio.gov/>_ | _Twitter <http://twitter.com/cityofdayton>_ | _Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dayton-OH/City-of-Dayton-Ohio/47806554955>_ | _YouTube <http://www.youtube.com/cityofdaytonohio>_ | _Nixle <http://www.nixle.com/>_ | E-mail Newsletters <http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?m=1101627103042&p=oi>

  ­­