Barry,

The unwanted waterflow alarms are caused by the fact that the VS-SP does not
have a retard and you are getting water surges because you are connected to a
municipal water supply and have some air pockets in the sprinkler system.

They are called unwanted alarms, not false alarms. The device is doing what it
is supposed to do, activate on a flow of water. The problem is there is
supposed to be a retard to prevent the alarms caused by water surges.

The solution is to replace the VS-SP with a flowswitch that has a retard. This
would be much less expensive and much easier than trying to vent all air out
through saddle valves.

It is possible that if there is a check valve or BFP that can hold pressure in
the system that the unwanted alarms will eventually stop after there are enough
surges to build system pressure up higher than the supply pressure.
However, when you test the system, you will relieve all built up pressure and
you'll be back into the unwanted alarm issue.

I'm guessing you never had unwanted alarms before because it was either never
tested or somehow there was no trapped air pockets in it to allow for surges.

The data sheet for the VS-SP specifically says that it does not have a retard
so it should not be used on systems with variable pressure water supplies
except in cases of elevator recall. The VS-SP was designed specifically for
elevator recall and sprinkler systems supplied by a pump & tank.

Flushing the system or letting it flow through the test valve will not
eliminate ALL the air pockets, even if the test valve is at the most remote
location.

Change the flowswitch to the correct one.

Kind Regards,

mike

Mike Henke CET
Sprinkler Product Manager

Potter Electric Signal Company, LLC
1609 Park 370 Place, St. Louis, MO 63042
phone: 800-325-3936   |   direct: 314-595-6740

mi...@pottersignal.com   |   www.pottersignal.com