David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/6/2017 12:14 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64;
rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.48

I have an account at the Vanguard Group (mutual funds).  If I
login to my account via SeaMonkey, I can schedule a phone call
appointment with my account representative.  The Web page for
making an appointment always shows me as being in the Mountain
Time zone; but I am in California, which is in the Pacific Time
zone.  The account representative told me that Vanguard's Web
technicians tested this Web page from accounts in California and
consistently get Pacific Time zone.

This is not a new problem with SeaMonkey 2.48; I have seen this
with 2.46 and earlier versions.  Windows says I am in the Pacific
Time zone. You can check this by viewing the source of this
message.  More simply, you can compare the posting time of this
message with my current time, which is 12:08pm.

Is there a time zone setting in SeaMonkey?  Or does it ALWAYS
use the Windows setting for this?

I belong to several web sites that have their own time zone
settings in the account profile. In each case, I have to go into my
account profile and update it, because they ignore my own
computer's settings.

Not so much a case of ignoring it - I'm not sure that there's any way for their web server to tell what the time zone configuration on your computer is, at least not without resorting to JavaScript.

That's where you should be looking -- in your
profile at the Vanguard site. Just as they store your name and
address, they also store your time zone. Mountain must be their
default, which is strange since their home office is in Valley
Forge, PA.

I just now navigated (again) throughout Vanguard's account profile
pages.  There is an entry for my address, which indicates
California; but there is no entry for time zone.  I have only the one
address; I have no others, not even in California let alone in other
time zones.

They might be guessing where you are based on your IP address and using the time zone for that area (which may be more related to where your ISP is based than your actual location). What do sites such as <https://www.whatismyip.com/> and <http://whatismyipaddress.com/> indicate as your location?

--
Mark.