I agree. Just last night I commented on the slow speed of freenet. After reading the "README file" I found the section on tweaking mozilla. I did this for both mozilla 1.5 and mozilla firebird. What a positve difference it made. I am also experimenting with programs to "suck" websites. For example I used one such program to download the freedom engine site and its many links. Now it wasnt perfect at retrieving all the links but the next time I accessed the freedom engine site through a browser it was faster because many links had been pulled in already. By the way, I know very little, so this really is just my 2 cents worth from my experiences.

Found in README file-
"SETTING UP A BROWSER FOR BEST PERFORMANCE

---Mozilla and Gecko Based Browsers(ie. Netscape):
Many browsers limit the number of simultaneous connections to something far
too low for efficiently browsing Freenet (since Freenet pages often have
much higher latency than web pages). This can usually be reconfigured. For
example, for Mozilla post-1.3, go to about:config, and change the following
settings:

network.http.max-connections 200
network.http.max-connections-per-server 100
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server 10
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy 50

Tracy R Reed wrote:

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:37:27PM +0000, Ian Clarke spake thusly:

So, this email is an invitation to anyone that has constructive criticism or suggestion's for how Freenet's "first impression" can be enhanced. Topics include installation, FProxy, even the website's layout.

The first thing new users say is "slow". More often than ease of use or installation complaints the speed is always the first thing they comment on in my experience.