Kendy Kutzner wrote:
> On 2004-08-04T14:50:52+0200, Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> > Traffic
> > analysis might help me figure who made a request and who served
> > it, but I still have to break encryption before I can figure
> > which file that request concerned.
>
> That is not entirely true. The files are encrypted with keys
> based on the file's content. When the file content is known, then
> routing keys can be computed.

No, this description is inaccurate!
When you know the _exact_ file contents, you don't need freenet. And
besides, the very same text or data with just one bit changed is a new
key, this means you are only able to scan for well-known data.

The SHA1 hash from the original and unencrypted data is used as encryption
key. The data is encrypted with that (You can not get back the encryption
key without decrypting first).

Then, some other data is added for routing and checking, and the SHA1 hash
of the whole piece makes up the "routing key", this is what you see while
proxying and caching the key data.

good byte