On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 05:21:17AM -0700, miguel wrote:
> Just wondering... with all this encryption permeating Freenet
> there remains a gaping hole through which the nazi's could saunter through
> with their spy tools and legal bypasses to incriminate any and all Freenetters
> they choose to incriminate...  the ip address/port# of all.  Even using a third party
> dns service wouldn't help.  Maybe not this day, but in light of current trends in
> government policies, in the not-too-distant future they will be slipping in and
> snagging
> whomever they choose by the ip address and will thus render useless all Freenet
> anonymity measures.
> Is there not a way to spoof the ip addresses, or mask the ip addresses so that our
> uncles
> and big brothers can't come in and bring down the house(s)?

No. Freenet as presently designed is not intended to make node operators
invisible. It is intended to make authors and retrievers of specific
content untraceable, and provide plausible deniability for node
operators. At some point in the future Freenet may employ various
techniques to operate better in environments where just running a node
leads to problems, but this will probably happen after 1.0 as we need to
get routing working first. Have a nice day!