My brother was driving through the desert in Namibia a few weeks ago and fell
asleep at the wheel.  He ended up on the other side of the road and hit
(sideswipped) a power pole (which woke him up). He was fine and the car
drivable, but it could have been much worse (as he points out - he could have
missed the pole and driven off into the desert, fast asleep)

On Mon, 5 May 2003 03:05 pm, Doug Foskey wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2003 03:00, you wrote:
> > One problem ( that I don't know what the rate is elseware ) that we have
> > in the western US, due to allot of the long miles between stopping
> > points, is a fairly high rate of auto accidents due to Highway Hypnosis,
> > and drivers falling asleep behind the wheel.  One particular incident we
> > had last summer, was the death of 9 forest firefighters because the
> > driver of the van they were in, fell asleep.   Things like this can not
> > be attributed to vehicle design, but, directly to drivers, and the people
> > in charge of the drivers ( the driver is given X amount of time to get
> > from one place to another and if they don't make it on time they are
> > penalized ).
> >
> > Greg H.
>
> You guys always have to have something bigger!
>   We have real distances between petrol stops in the Northern Territory:
> 220Km (about 140miles) between petrol stations (and any habitation) & this
> is on a major highway between Adelaide & Darwin.
>   Often at night, when I go to Sydney, I have 100Km between petrol stations
> (but I can go 725Km to Sydney on less than a tank anyway - so who cares!)
> The only stops I make are for a meal, or toilet.
>   But after all of that I agree that micro-sleeps are a killer. (& there
> has been research done n Australia). There are restrictions on how far a
> truck (& heavy vehicles) can travel between rest stops. The Transport dept
> has checkpoints to check these rests too. (big fines for non-compliance)
> regards Doug

> Biofuels list archives:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/

> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!