On Sun, 4 May 2003 03:00, you wrote:
> One problem ( that I don't know what the rate is elseware ) that we have in
> the western US, due to allot of the long miles between stopping points, is
> a fairly high rate of auto accidents due to Highway Hypnosis, and drivers
> falling asleep behind the wheel.  One particular incident we had last
> summer, was the death of 9 forest firefighters because the driver of the
> van they were in, fell asleep.   Things like this can not be attributed to
> vehicle design, but, directly to drivers, and the people in charge of the
> drivers ( the driver is given X amount of time to get from one place to
> another and if they don't make it on time they are penalized ).
>
> Greg H.

You guys always have to have something bigger!
  We have real distances between petrol stops in the Northern Territory:
220Km (about 140miles) between petrol stations (and any habitation) & this is
on a major highway between Adelaide & Darwin.
  Often at night, when I go to Sydney, I have 100Km between petrol stations
(but I can go 725Km to Sydney on less than a tank anyway - so who cares!) The
only stops I make are for a meal, or toilet.
  But after all of that I agree that micro-sleeps are a killer. (& there has
been research done n Australia). There are restrictions on how far a truck (&
heavy vehicles) can travel between rest stops. The Transport dept has
checkpoints to check these rests too. (big fines for non-compliance)
regards Doug

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM