The difference between emergency=lifeguard_tower and
emergency=lifeguard_platform is not very clear.

Recall that the original question is about what tags should be
included in Map Features, the introductory page, translated into may
languages, which represents the most commonly used, "de facto" and
"approved" tags.

That list is curated through the proposal process and discussion on
this mailing list and the wiki, generally tags should not be added
unless there is wide consensus that the tag has been accepted by the
global mapping community as the "de facto" way to map a particular
feature.

I am not questioning the use of any of the tags.

- Joseph Eisenberg