Hello tracer,

On Saturday, October 23, 1999, 2:44:08 PM you told us:

[ ... ]

Syafril>> This  morning,  I got *.bmp attachment too, the mail size 16
Syafril>> MB...and  The  Bat!  crash  with  error  message  "Exception
Syafril>> EOutofMemory in Module thebat.exe at 000117598".

t> If  I  received 16 mb of bmp in one email I would be rather rude to
t> the  sender  or  better  he  to  me  as  he would get it back... My
t> mailserver  will  kick big attachments back and anyway a BMP should
t> never  be  send as BMP, same with DOC/XLS and similar bloated stuff
t> and it gets bounced or dumped...

My  MailServer  already  kick  the message back to the sender, so real
recipient  not  receiving  the message, but as postmaster, I got it (I
set this on purpose, perhaps I make wrong setting).

t> You probably blew some buffer in the bat..
t> You  are running NT with 64 mb so you would be unlikely to see this
t> problem from 98 anyway but 64 mb under NT is NOT a lot of ram...

Indeed, that's why I set virtual disk around 400 MB.

t> ie extensive disk usage is likely if you want to see a 16 mb file.

the weird thing, only *.bmp make a lot of disk swap (my HDD working so
hard).

§yafril">>>> Then  I  close  TB, start again and disable HTML auto-view;
§yafril">>>> now I need around 2 minutes to view the message (IMHO still
§yafril">>>> not  "normal",  too  slow).To  open  the attachment, I need
§yafril">>>> around  5  minutes,  change the setting to external viewer,
§yafril">>>> then I just need 1 minutes.

t> Is the hard disk light on all the time, it may be moving things to and
t> from swapfile if it does...

Yes it does.

t>>> Use ACDSEE

Syafril>> What's the purpose of this software ?

t> Its one of the nice graphical viewers, shareware though but fast and
t> nice.

I will give a try someday, thanks.

t>>> I  never  see them, BMP, EXE, DOC and XLS are considered spam by my
t>>> setup and get zapped off my server.

Syafril>> I can't do that. As the postmaster, I will receive all bounce messages
Syafril>> (note: the msg I got this morning is bounce message, it send to one of
Syafril>> our  user  but  exceded  the  quota  limit,  so  route  to me). And as
Syafril>> FAXmaster,  I will receive all FAXmessage which failed to route to the
Syafril>> end  user (we use OCR module to detect to whom the fax message address
Syafril>> to).

t> (snip)
t> Sorry for saying it, if you are the postmaster, start educating your
t> endusers.
t> depending on your setup either ask/tell or stimulate them and if its a
t> favour you do them tell them you have changed to more stable software
t> but it has a few restrictions like sized on emails and attachments and
t> anything larger then 2 mb route it back to sender.

I  did,  it  bounce  to the sender with warning message "mailbox quota
exceded".

I  sent  warning to the user, to notify the sender about sending large
attachment.

t> After someone has a bounced 16 mb back he will learn very quick.

I hope so.

t> BMP's should be zipped/rarred or if just send for looking, they should jpeg
t> them. Sending 16 mb bmp as BMP in one email is so silly nobody should
t> blame you for stopping that.

True.

t> If they really need it, tell them to ftp.

You're right, I have tell them.

t> And  tell  them its hanging your system and that this can result in
t> lost emails/attachments.

I  am  not  too  worry  about  that.  I  have  test  my  system  with
sending/receiving  50  MB  attachment without a hitch. We also have MX
backup in case of our system down.

t> If  you are the 'expert' for the endusers make it sound a bit worse
t> then  it  is  but get them to use winzip/winrar or something making
t> jpegs.  Unless  you  like receiving 16 mb files all blown up by the
t> encouding in maybe 20 mb emails.

For  my  user, no problem, I've installed winzip at every PC, and they
allways sending large attachment in *.zip format. In this case, we are
receiving from internet user.

t> donot  worry,  hand  selected ram, I build that machine myself, and
t> while  it  has  a few problems, ram is 100% even when I run special
t> stress software, system is rock stable.

t> I  would  say 99% sure I got a leak if I knew exactly what leaked I
t> would tell them.

Perhaps you need dll load detection to detect any dll conflict.

--
- syafril -

Name    : Syafril Hermansyah     | Company : Duta Integrasi Pratama
Mailto  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Voice   : (62) (21) 385-1600
URL     : www.dutaint.co.id      | FAX     : (62) (21) 351-9241

I am using The Bat! 1.36 <registered> at
Windows NT Workstation 4.0 built 1381, Service Pack 5
Created : Monday, October 25, 1999, 9:26:41 (GMT + 07:00)