The method I suggested works without losing focus when tested on
Tiddlywiki.com. I just tried transcluding the body element itself
($:/core/ui/EditTemplate/body) and that works too. I do remember there
being an issue with losing focus when updating the content of a tiddler, as
you describe, but this doesn't seem to be triggering it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0e3eb78a-9411-47e8-9e86-3909491fa7b4%40googlegroups.com.