Here's an improved (?) version that uses the existing field value as a
default:

\define editnsave(field)
<$vars tid="$:/temp/$(currentTiddler)$" fld=
"$:/temp/$(currentTiddler)$!!$field$" fldx=
"{{$:/temp/$(currentTiddler)$!!$field$}}" >

$field$: <$edit-text tiddler=<<tid>> field="$field$" default={{!!$field$}}
 tag="input"/>
<$button>Save<$wikify name=val text="<<fldx>>"><$action-setfield  $field=
"$field$" $value=<<val>> /></$wikify>
</$button>

</$vars>
\end