Richard,

Thanks for your empathy.

The best example of the first case Psudo constants is in the post above,
this works for me in subtiddlers however as it returns the constant only in
the form <<currentobject>> it is still of limited value. Lets imagin I have
a value it may even be the tiddler name I have open but it could be field
value or any string and I want to make it available to all subtiddlers eg
those included via tabs, or those transcluded into the current one.  There
should be a simple set statement or other format which does this, and
behaves similar to the <<currentobject>> above. In every case I have tried
so far the values change depending on context, as a result of a filter, if
used in a macro, a widget, send-message the tiddler in which it lays such
that the same value needs to be handled and referenced in a range of
different forms when it is clear as anything what I am trying to do, the
mechanisium is just not there nor straitfroward. I use the term
Psudo-constant because in my example <<currentobject>> is set in the
"master" tiddler" and will be different or not exist in other tiddlers, but
will be available in subTiddlers.

I will revisit the tag view template method you mention but again, the
ability to edit fields in the same tiddler should simply be catered for in
the core not requiring convolutted solutions.
eg edit-field-here fieldname with the self update issues adderessed behind
the sceens,and if nessasary turning refresh transclusions off until enter,
set or save button is pressed.

Of critical importiance, I now hove ways to do the above two things, but
they are hard to use, unrelaiable and change with context all the time. The
fact I can even ask for such featured is only after some 100hours of
learining, and realising they are not there. Future users need this reduced
to much less time.

I would also like to add a caviet, When I develop solutions I always try
and develop reusable solutions so I am not keen on hard coding something
such as "constants" that are context sensive because if you clone a tiddler
they will no longer work. My phudo-constant addresses this, it can be set
from a title or field name but remains constant below that.

Thanks
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/4e7ba6d8-d20d-470a-9acc-7c99ef7872f9%40googlegroups.com.