Izzy wrote:
> I have a hard time with understanding all this.  It seems that we are
> taught that "all you have to do is believe that Jesus is Savior, and
> accept Him, and you get a free ticket to heaven...nothing else matters.
> You can be as sinful as you want to and still get into heaven."
>
> This seems ridiculous to me! If having "faith" in Jesus just means
> believing that He is the son of God the Father--even demons believe
> this, and they tremble! So what does "saving faith" mean??? Obviously
> not just that.
>
> It seems that really "believing" or "having faith in Jesus" means more
> than just head knowledge, but must have an effect upon US in how we
> behave, as well as how we believe.  "Faith without works (righteous
> behavior) is dead!"
>
> It seems that "faith" and "works" are as inseparable as our body and
> spirit. If our body exists without our spirit, we are dead. If our
> spirit exists without our body we are dead. Just the same way, if our
> works exist without our faith in Christ, we are dead. And if our faith
> in Christ exists without our works, we are dead.
>
> Does that make sense so far?
>
> If so, then why are our "works" and our "salvation" not related?
> Obviously we must depend upon the sacrifice of Christ on the cross to
> atone for our sins. That was the whole reason for His incarnation. But
> at what point does our sin get so grievous that His sacrifice no longer
> atones for it? Ever? At what point does the fact of our sin point out
> that we really DO NOT believe in Him?
>
> That's where it gets muddy for me. How can anyone walk in continual,
> grievous sin and still be destined for heaven, regardless of the atoning
> blood of Christ? Doesn't their sinful life show that Jesus is not their
> Lord, and therefore they have no faith in Him? They just "talk the talk,
> but don't walk the walk." Didn't Jesus make it clear that hypocrites
> will not enter the Kingdom? Can you shed any light on this?

I think you are on the right track.  Clearly, someone who continues to sin
will cross the line into apostasy if the sin is not dealt with.  On the
other hand, grace does cover sin, and justification is of faith and not of
works.

Paul taught that where sin abounds, grace much more abounds.  But exactly
how does that grace operate?  Is it a free ticket to sin and yet be saved?
Certainly not.  The grace is given more abundantly in order that the person
might repent and come fully into Christ's Spirit.

The reason I clarified that it is possible for a person to be saved who has
not yet experienced complete freedom from sin is because the atonment
provides for many things, but people receive only that which they believe
for.  Example:  some people believe that healing is in the atonment, yet
others are not aware of it, or believe that it is not included in the
atonement.  Yet those who do not see healing in the atonement might believe
that forgiveness comes through the atonement.  Does God withhold forgiveness
because the person does not believe in healing being provided in the
atonement?  Certainly not.  God meets people according to their faith.  In
the same way, a person might be taught incorrectly that they will always
sin, yet they might be taught that God forgives them and that their sins are
covered by the blood of Jesus.  I think such a person might find
justification.  The man Jesus speaks about who beat his chest and said,
"Lord, be merciful to me a sinner" may not have got up thinking he would
never sin again.  Yet, he may touch God and receive grace and forgiveness
for his past sin.  When that happens, the Spirit is moving upon the person,
to lead him into works of righteousness.  The Spirit leads the person to
never sin again.  But the person might turn to his flesh instead of the
Spirit, and especially because of false teaching, he may stumble into sin
again and again and again.  Does that mean that the person is completely cut
off from God when he turns to God again in a spirit of humility seeking
forgiveness yet again?  Certainly not.  Such a person continues to have
access to the throne of grace and can receive forgiveness.

I agree with you that to emphasize the existence of this kind of grace and
forgiveness is extremely dangerous.  It does convey to many that they have a
license to sin.  I meet such people all the time when I preach on campus.  I
declare holiness, and such Christians rise up against the preaching of
holiness because they think they are saved.  They will cuss with every four
letter word imagineable, and declare their right to fornicate and get drunk
on weekends.  They say that Jesus saves them because it is by grace and not
of works, and that anyone who thinks they have to stop sinning in order for
Jesus to save them is a hypocritical Pharisee.  They have been brainwashed
by the "grace through faith alone" teachers.

Notice what Jesus taught in Mat. 5:19.  I think this shows how there are two
classes of believers in the kingdom of heaven.  There are the "Christian
perfectionists" if you want to use Glenn's terminology (I don't like that
label, but we will go with it for now for the sake of conversation), and
there are the "saved by grace through faith only" Christians.

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall
teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but
whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the
kingdom of heaven."  (Mat 5:19)

It is noteworthy that he plainly includes these who break the least
commandments and teach men that they will break them as being IN the kingdom
of heaven.  This is especially noteworthy when you consider that Jesus
taught that John the Baptist was not in the kingdom of heaven at all.

So while we understand that true faith will result in good works, and that
sin is defiling such that those who continue in sin will be drawn away from
the Lord, it also is true that justification comes through faith without
works, and that grace does indeed abound the more that sin abounds.

Do my comments help any?