Blaine do you have a NARROW DEFINITION  of MORMON?
Can I be a MORMON if I say I am?
Can I be a good mormon and refuse the modern day profhet Gordo B Hinkley?
Can I be a  mormon and NOT follow the Brthren?
Can I be a mormon and reject Joe Smith?
Can I be a mormon and believe the Book O MORMOn as translated correctly?
Can I be a mormon and teach that the TEMPLE is WRONG?
Can I be a mormon and teach what the church taught 75 years ago?
Polygamy, Adam God?

You would not accept anyone as LDS that did not fit your NARROW DEFINITION.
The LDS Authorities FORCE OUT eXcommunicate and snub anyone who's thinking & belief contrasts with the accepted Church sanctioned thinking.
Remember the "THINKING has been DONE" when the profhet spoke.

But we should widden our definition of Christian to fit you fellas in?

Are you playing BOTH SIDES again?

James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
DaveH writes:

I am just interested in knowing how some
Christians try to narrow their definition of 'Christian' to eliminate those
who have contrasting beliefs.

Blaine writes:  Well said.  This is a penetrating question, and  I would like a response to it from other ttr's if possible.  I am sincere in asking this.  Judy, DaveM, Laura, Izzy, Kevin, Dean, Ruben, anyone?  I am not trying to put anyone on the spot here, just want to hear from a few of you on this subject-- I think it goes to the heart of the matter rather succinctly.