From: "Ross Ferris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U2 Users Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 10:32 PM
Subject: RE: How far can U2 scale?

I would imagine in any of the scenarios that has been given, if some form of
"local" (client side) intelligence is employed, coupled with a
non-persistent connection scheme to the central database, that the numbers
that have been quoted here (2-10,000) could easily be multiplied by a factor
of 5-10 ..... but of course you may  hit the wall in terms of saleability of
web servers (web farms), network topology & infrastructure etc.

I think it would be fair to say, within the parameters that others have
outlined (massively large databases vs. massively large user populations)
that there are no practical limits to mv scalability.

I recall hearing a story about when Tim Holland migrated Pick Open
Architecture to the Sequoia machine. Similar concerns were raised about the
saleability of "pick", but it soon became obvious that it was the underlying
Unix that would be "pushed"

Given the historic position that mv allows you to do more with less, I don't
think we should be too surprised by this.

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage – an Evolution in Software Development

---