From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 6:50 AM
Subject: Re: How far can U2 scale?

Ross,

Actually, we just had a reason to care. We just changed from raid 5 to raid
1+0, and wanted to determine how and where we achieved performance increase.
We
weren't interested in knowing how we compared to a museum machine, but in
how
we compared to the weekend before. We did see quite a performance increase
in
disk related functions, but it's rather difficult to quantify just how much
faster it is overall for any given user in a normal work day.

Regards,
Charlie Noah
Inland Truck Parts

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
So, assuming the Spirit was a 1x machine (I seem to recall a small DEC 1400
(?) being a 2x - sooo many years) if the spirit could complete 10,000
"transactions" in a quanta of time, and the new machine finishes the same
task
(approximating real world environment) in some fraction of this time, then
it should
be fairly straight forward to work out the X rating.

I seem to recall that the "omnipresent" CUBS benchmark was trying to achieve
the same thing ..... they may even have some old benchmarks from a known "X
rating" machine, allowing an approximation of modern equipment to be
made -->
not that I think anyone really cares these days, as X tends to be
sufficiently
large !

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage â an Evolution in Software Development