But what does it mean to "stop using theirs"?  Does it mean the letters "VCL"
cannot appear anywhere at their site?  (I feel really weird saying "their"
since I'm employed at NCSU, but I'll try to stick to saying this with my ASF
hat on).

I feel really strongly that we (ASF) should continue using VCL as the name for
the project because that's what it has been know as for the last 5 years.
So, I want to work toward figuring out what NCSU must do to allow that to
happen.  If everything at NCSU gets changed to "Apache VCL at NCSU", would
that work?  The goal of moving VCL from NCSU to ASF is to allow more people
to get involved in development of it, and thus have it used at more places.
So, it would make sense to me for multiple places to be able to call their
install of it "Apache VCL at <insert institution name here>".

Josh

On Thursday February 19, 2009, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> As Matt pointed out there needs to be a distinction between this ASF
> project and its original progenitor, NCSU VCL.  It's quite simple,
> either we change our name or they stop using theirs.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Jan 6, 2009, at 8:18 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:
> >
> > Maybe we should look at this from a different angle - is there
> > anything that
> > *can* happen for the name to continue as "VCL" at ASF?
> >
> > Josh
> >
> > On Tuesday January 06, 2009, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> >> Thanks for your comments Matt.
> >>
> >> Well, it's after the holidays.  Time to pick this thread back up.
> >> This issue needs to be resolved before we graduate.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Alan

> > - --
> > - -------------------------------