Prem,

My responses are inline.

On Wednesday June 08, 2011, Prem Kumar wrote:
> hi Josh,
>
> no i do not have the 'os' filed set to 'image' in the nodetype table.
> also i do not have the 'arch' field set to 'x86', instead i have it set to
> 'x86_64'.
>
> this probably explains why it is not progressing.

Okay.  Let us know how things progress when you set the values as described.

> just so i understand this correctly, this has been my approach, can you
> confirm if i am following the right trial of path.
>
> - first i got my xcat to work, so that i can install an os on baremetal
> using pxe boot with kickstart templates.
> - second i got the vcl code setup with unoffical-partimage-setup
> information.
> - third i followed the instructions at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/create-a-linux-base-image.html to capture the
> baremetal install of the 'os' on a blade.

That is the correct approach.  However, I would not try using 'vcld -setup'
until you can successfully capture an image using 'nodeset <node> image'.

> back to the partimage plugin:
>
> i read around line number 142:
> unless (-r "$installroot/image/$arch/$profile.img" or
>                 -r "$installroot/image/$arch/$profile.gz" or
>                 -r "$installroot/image/$arch/$profile-parta1.gz")
>
> does the above imply that if my 'profile' in nodetype table is set to
> 'vcl_rhel_node_template' then i need to have the following file
> under $installroot/image/$arch/
>
> vcl_rhel_node_template.img
> vcl_rhel_node_template.gz
> vcl_rhel_node_template-parta1.gz

The above code means that you must have at least one of those files present in
$installroot/image/$arch/.  Those are the disk image files created by
partimageng (any .img files) or partimage (any .gz files).  The partimage
stuff documented at the "unofficial" page always uses x86 as for $arch.  It
will still handle imaging/restoring x86_64 images.  Since both x86 and x86_64
were handled the same way, I never bothered making it distinguish between
them.  So, all images captured with partimage using those instruction will be
under $installroot/image/x86/

As a side note, there is another thread where someone is working on making
partimage work for ppc.  For that, it probably would be good to have it
distinguish between x86 and ppc.

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu