hi Josh, kindly bare with other inline questions before i try out your
suggestions -

> > 'vcl_rhel_node_template' then i need to have the following file
> > under $installroot/image/$arch/
> >
> > vcl_rhel_node_template.img
> > vcl_rhel_node_template.gz
> > vcl_rhel_node_template-parta1.gz
>
> The above code means that you must have at least one of those files present in
> $installroot/image/$arch/.  Those are the disk image files created by
> partimageng (any .img files) or partimage (any .gz files).  The partimage
> stuff documented at the "unofficial" page always uses x86 as for $arch.  It
> will still handle imaging/restoring x86_64 images.  Since both x86 and x86_64
> were handled the same way, I never bothered making it distinguish between
> them.  So, all images captured with partimage using those instruction will be
> under $installroot/image/x86/

as i understand:
essentially files vcl_rhel_node_template.img 'or'
vcl_rhel_node_template.gz gets created for the first time after i have
successfully captured an image using the partimageng or partimage
respectfully?

and this is done using the command 'nodeset <node> image'

also do you think having ssh communicate to private management node
over eth1, and compute nodes accessible to end users with ext_ssh
over eth0, an issue with the 'vcl code' at any point?

regards,
prem.