Ok, I have given it a try, and here is my feedback:

I have never done an install from a bfu archive before,
but I thought I would give it a try.
Usefully, Ben Rockwood gave some advice, via his blog,
on how to do a bfu upgrade, at just the right time:
http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=802

I had snv_57 installed, but was anyway planning soon to upgrade
to snv_60, so I was not too worried if it trashed my os.
As the vconsole seemed to be built for build 47, this was
effectively a downgrade, so I was expecting problems.

I downloaded the 'vconsole-20060908.i386.tar.bz2' file. (File size is 89MB)
and used BFU.
I kept a log of all the commands and output, and rather that post it here,
as it is rather long, I have uploaded it to my web site in case any one
is interested to take a look:
http://www.nwsmith.net/solaris/vconsole-bfu-downgrade.txt

Ok, so after the BFU was installed, I rebooted.

During restart, I got various errors:
...undefined symbol...
...cannot load module...
...service failed to start - transitioned to maintenance...

But, surprisingly, I did end with getting a console login!
So I logged in:

  login as: root
  Password:
  Last login: Fri Mar 30 20:21:58 2007
  Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.11      vt-gate October 2007
  bfu'ed from /root/vconsole-20060908.i386/vconsole-bfu-i386-b47/ on 2007-03-30
  Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.11      snv_57  October 2007
  # uname -a
  SunOS solaris 5.11 vt-gate i86pc i386 i86pc
  #

I pressed Alt-F1 and got a 'vt1 login:'
(Good!)
I then pressed Alt-F2, but just got ^[[225z
(Bad!)

It seems you cannot (always) immediately follow Alt-F#, by another
Alt-F# and get the next console. Sometimes it works, but other times
it just displays ^[[22# (Where # represents a digit)

(It seems that after you press Alt-F#, you need to press a different
key, before it will accept another Alt-F#)

And how do you get back to the 'console'?

So it sort of works, but not well enough to be usable.
Ok, you Sun guys still have some work to do on this.

I think it's an important feature, so I hope you can get it working
 soon and integrated into a Solaris Nevada release.

I understand that you need to keep backwards compatibly for people
familiar with the old Solaris versions. But I think you also need
to give an option, at install time, for people trying OpenSolaris
for the first time, who have used Linux or FreeBSD before,
who will expect a more usable 'console'.
Thanks
Nigel