Nigel Smith wrote:
> Lingbo, I'm glad to hear that in the new (next?) version of the code,
> it will not be required to release the 'Alt', before pressing another
> function key, to select the next virtual console.
>
> When I'm using Linux in text mode, I like to be able to hold the 'Alt' key
> down
> with a finger on my left hand, and then use a finger on my right hand to
> press the Function keys, and take a look at each of the consoles in turn.
> It would be great if I could do the same thing with Solaris.
>
> And yes, I think that using 'Alt-h' to get to '/dev/console' needs to change.
> My advise would be to use 'Alt-F1' to get '/dev/console' as the default.
> But then I think once people get familiar with the idea that '/dev/console'
> is special, they may want to move it to another key, like 'Alt-F12'.
> So I think you need to make the key used configurable in some way.

The usage of "Alt-h" will be removed in next version because the 1st
virtual console stand for /dev/console now. You can use "Alt-F1" for
system console.
"Alt-h" is a sequence in old solaris (maybe 2.5 or 2.6), and we are
considering the compatibility with other systems, link Linux now.
For instance, "Alt-F7" will go to the 7th console, "AltGraph-F4" goes
to the 14th console if it's created. "Alt-l" is used to invoke last
accessed console etc. All of them will be same as Linux.

For remapping the hot key sequence, you can refer to the usage of
loadkeys(1) and dumpkeys(1), which have same semantics as Linux from my
understanding.

> Also, will we be able to configure how many virtual consoles are available?
> I would like the option of more than 6 virtual console, as there are
> usually more function keys available.

Sure, you can configure the active number of virtual consoles.

> Another nice feature I've seen on Linux, is the ability to configure
> it to display syslog output on one of the virtual consoles.
> Will it be possible to do something like this with Solaris?

If you can describe more details in this function as you expect,
we may think about it. Thanks!

Regards,
Lingbo