Marko Mäkelä wrote:
Actually I would press the pause button, as I usually don't want to miss anything. And then the playback should be halted anyway, no matter if display is on or off.

But you surely would power the display off, to avoid burning the still
image on the CRT or plasma screen or to save the precious hours on the
lamp of your video beamer?  Or maybe you have a TFT screen and do not
care about wasting electricity?

Actually, I have a plain old CRT that doesn't seriously suffer from burning in. (provide that I resume playback within a month or so. ;) )

And if I want to save power, I power off the CRT completely, and thats something my VDR cannot do on its own (yet). Just blanking the screen has no advantage for me.

Cheers,

Udo