Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Well, tell that to people writing plugins for such output devices.
> I don't see where *I* would be involved there?!

Are there enough interfaces to be able to read the and control the OSD
for including them seamlessly it into a different front-end? I don´t
think that SVDRP and interpreting the returned data is the best way to
go. And what about the limitation on one OSD per VDR?
I think, these are the real limitations - currently users of media
center UIs are exiting them and start xinelib for using VDR and visa verse.
A better separation of "back-end" and "front-end" could IMHO solve the
problem and end the discussion about hardware related support. Because
with a clean and some kind of more standardized interface (which also
transmits OSD related information), you could write every "output device
connector/plug-in" that you can think and be compatible to more
front-ends or devices then before. Even an "evil" Windows front-end with
VDR running on Windows (with the help of something like colinux or a VM)
would be possible.
Currently, xinelib (with original OSD) uses a different protocol than
the VOMP plug-in does (own UI). Then, there is the ffnetdev plug-in
(with OSD tranfered with some kind of VNC IIRC) which also works
different from the streamdev approach (without OSD) that is used for
hardware streaming clients that use oxyl etc.

Unfortunately, I am just a user, not a developer though I am at least
able to read and modify simple C and script code ;) - it has been a long
time since I was student and was able/had the time to code little
projects...

With kind regards

Joerg Knitter