Richard, this might solve your problem, but I just checked my settings and my
predictive text is turned off.
I just tried it again, and this is what I did:

1, Opened a new message and addressed it to myself for testing purposes.
2, Entered the phrase, I love pizza!!.
3, Went and selected the emoji keyboard.
4, I checked my rotor and I was at the emoji choice.  I then just flicked my
finger down, and it moves between the words that have emoji replacements.

Now voice over did not give me any feedback once I changed to the emoji
keyboard.  I did not know that focus was in the text box and emoji was chosen
on my rotor without checking.
I do not know if different phones will act a little different, but I am using
an iPhone 6.

Chris