Wow. well, thanks for making it personal, there.  Appreciate that, but not so
much.  What *I* personally have a problem with, since you brought it up, is
anything that raises the barriers that sight imposes between blind and sighted
persons, instead of lowering them or making that barrier meaningless.  If this
is a white cane versus a black or tan or whatever cane, fine.  If it a GPS app
that has a cheaper price but has a sub-level for blind people, designed by
blind people, then I think that's a better way to go than reinventing the wheel
of GPS apps for the blind, charging them and only them or their agencies more,
and relegating the blind to their own separate portion of the market.  Apple
has shown by example that this is not necessarily the result for blind people
who use technology.  Many sighted companies--certain US-based airlines spring
to mind--merge to provide a more complete range of services--why couldn't this
be a more feasible approach to a GPS app that is universally accessible?  The
same argument you use when you say that "one company making devices universally
accessible does not make the industry standard," is used all the time to keep
whole countries from "going green," by switching to alternative energy sources.

As for your comparison to canes, I guess you haven't been to any page selling
canes or their accessories lately--if so, you'll find a large list of said
accessories visually designed for matching with your shoes, hand-bag, golf bag,
whatever. And, just to clear this up, I'm a 23-year veteran with four guide
dogs' lives worth of service to my credit, I've lived all over the US in every
conceivable environmental and mobility situation.  I'm just very lucky to be a
"basic black," wearing type individual, so I haven't had to accessorize my
black lab much.  Oh, and they have tons of guide dog harness accessories, not
to mention the usual run of silly doggie booties and sweaters and the lot.

You say that "Some things are just better when they are done with the blind
person in mind," I have to ask, "Who is doing these things?" a sighted
overlord?  Things done with me in mind have almost killed me too many times to
count, sir, and if you must know, it is things done with me and my good in mind
that I have a huge objection to.  So should every thinking person.

Mark BurningHawk
Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
Home page:  Http://MarkBurningHawk.net/