I have the same approach. Mine is a $25 case from Best Buy that covers the back
and sides, and includes a belt clip. I can snap the phone in with the screen
covered by the inside of the clip/holster, or facing outward so I can perform
some actions while I'm moving around. No, this isn't a
water/drop/shock/dust-proof case, but it isn't big and heavy either. My phone
spends enough time in my pocket while I'm at home that light and slim still
matter, so a Defender or other big case is not for me. Finally, the smaller
case lets the phone sit on my dock, something that a large case would prevent.

--
Have a great day,
Alex