Hi,
[snip]
>Now let the electron and positron stray over the event
>horizon at time t=0 and annihilate at time t=1.  At t=0, the black hole now
>has M + 1.022 MeV mass.  At t=1, the black hole is back to its previous
>mass of M, even though an electron and positron have been added to it, and
>even though the annihilation photons have not escaped.
>
>One of the things that is bothering me about the second scenario is that
>there probably is no baryonic matter in the black hole to begin with, so it
>feels arbitrary to distinguish between the captured annihilation photons
>and whatever else is there.  (What if it's all photons?)
>
>Eric

Another problem with this scenario is that time slows as the event horizon is
approached, so nothing ever actually makes it into a black hole, at least
nothing that wasn't there already when it formed. (Assuming that time actually
stands still at the event horizon).

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

local asymmetry = temporary success