Hi,
[snip]
>If we take the other option, then nothing in our timeline ever happens to
>things that have crossed over the event horizon, and it is meaningless to
>talk about its contents.

It's worse than that - nothing ever even gets to cross the event horizon from
our point of view (because time slows to the point where the universe comes to
an end before anything actually gets to the event horizon.)
(Which BTW is what originally led me to the notion that there is nothing in a
black hole.)
This also means that the growth in mass of a black hole must come from
matter/energy accumulating in a tight orbit (just) outside the event horizon.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

local asymmetry = temporary success