>From Angela:

> no, they measured it a bit away, but still in Bologna. I you
> want the precise position, I may tell you that later, I have
> access to all the historic weather data. I think it is the
> airport there. Meteorology was my business for a long
> time. Every station transmits the local air pressure and
> adds the lacking pressure that comes from local height
> above sea level. See wikipedia "barometric formula" for
> details, its about 1 hPa per 8 m. If every station of the
> world would simply transmit local air pressure, you would
> not be able to draw the ground pressure charts. All
> values are sl-values.

It looks like some are seriously looking into altitude and historical
weather pattern data... looking for clues in operational behavior.

This is a daunting task. Good luck in your endeavors.

Only time will tell if research into this matter proves to be
revealing... or not as the case may be.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com