You are on the right road on the way toward LENR. Now look at what
plasmons, polaritons excitons and Plexcitons are. Then we will go from
there.

Cheers:   Axil

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:05 AM, David Roberson <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion Robin.  I have worked with resonances
> for many years in radio design so I see parallel behavior.  It is quite
> common to drive a system with frequencies that are below the resonance and
> obtain the driven response.  You can start at essentially zero hertz and
> work your way up as long as you can figure a way to couple to the system.
>  I believe we would agree that normal heating of a system of metal atoms
> results in their vibration at a random average rate.  The magnitude of the
> vibration should be proportional to the temperature which is then
> proportional to the average kinetic energy of the atoms.
>
>  Until I considered what you just wrote, I had not given much thought to
> the coupling between the electrons in orbitals and the nucleus of the
> atoms.  How tightly are they actually connected when in a metal crystal?  I
> can see how it might be possible to obtain a very large Q if the nucleus is
> weakly restrained by the electrons.  The spring analogy is a good one and
> it is interesting that you were able to obtain a spring constant equivalent
> for the mass to stretch and relax as it moves up and down, etc.  How do you
> calculate a loss factor that damps the vibration?  And, if the losses of
> each atom associated with the metal are very small, then there would be a
> lot of coupling occurring between nearby atoms.  In radio design, you can
> reduce the actual coupling coefficient between two resonant tanks as the Q
> of each rises and still have the ability to transfer a large amount of
> energy between them.  This is a common practice in band pass filter design.
>
>  If the coupling between nearby atoms is adequate for the Q then we
> should see a large amount of energy being transferred in the vicinity of
> the resonances.  That would be a good way to drive the metal into a frenzy.
>
>  I am trying to visualize your explanation as to the difference between
> heat and sound wave movement in materials.  I am not convinced that there
> is a big difference.  Normal random heating must occur as kinetic energy
> and linear momentum is propagated into an adjacent region.  Take as example
> the toy composed of hanging steel balls.  Assume that they are a little
> separated in distance instead of physically touching.  The first ball would
> hit the next one in the line and it would come to a complete stop while the
> new one continues with all the momentum and kinetic energy forward.  This
> ball would collide with the next one on down the line.  In this case the
> energy would move as fast as the beginning ball onward.  Could we consider
> this as heat energy?  I think so since it represents kinetic energy of the
> ball which could be scaled up with more of the same to represent a higher
> temperature.
>
>  That simple model appears to clarify the issue.  Notice that the energy
> and momentum was directed away from the source ball at a rapid pace which
> seems to far exceed what we normally think of as heat transfer.  Now, I
> think that this is indeed exactly how it works.  This is only one half of
> the system and the other half is energy being directed back towards the
> original heat source.  How interesting.
>
>  Now I understand why the thermal gradient is what drives the transfer of
> heat from a hot to cold region.  The kinetic energy of the hot particles is
> continually being directed outwards and meanwhile energy is returning from
> the other direction.   The hot regions sends a larger quantity of heat
> outward than it recovers and the difference between these two processes can
> be represented as the temperature gradient.  Heat does not generally move
> at full speed as in the toy case because there are a multitude of
> balls(atoms) that share the momentum among themselves with collisions.
> The total momentum and kinetic energy moves outwards, but it spreads out
> into the total metal matrix and does not move as a strongly coordinated
> wave.
>
>  Sound on the other hand is coordinated.  For the toy analogy you can
> think of a sound wave as being the result of a surface containing a large
> number of the toys that are driven in a coordinated manner so that the
> motion continues with minimal spreading.  In this case, the overall motion
> consists of parallel compression waves moving in one direction.  Sound
> waves are thus coordinated in time and space while heat is not.  Sound can
> therefore move at the maximum speed throughout the material while heat has
> to randomly spread forward which is much slower.
>
>  Forgive me for the thinking process that proceeded as I was writing.
>  Sometimes it is important to follow how a thought is formulated.
>
>  I think this understanding I just visualized is a fairly good
> description of the physics behind the two processes.  What do you think
> Robin?
>
>  Dave
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: mixent <[email protected]>
> To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
> Sent: Thu, Feb 28, 2013 8:24 pm
> Subject: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV
>
>  In reply to  David Roberson's message of Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:44:14 -0500 
> (EST):
> Hi Dave,
> [snip]
> >Because it is just wrong!  Kidding Robin.  Now I am confused a bit,  are you
> calculating that if I displaced an atom by a tiny amount and let go of it that
> it would begin to vibrate at that frequency as the energy damped out?
>
> Yes.
>
> >Maybe so, I was not thinking of that process.  I assumed that you were 
> >figuring
> out the vibrations due to the temperature of the metal.  If what you 
> calculated
> is accurate then an incoming photon of that frequency would easily be absorbed
> by one of the atoms and start it vibrating in place.
>
> Precisely. And heat has an appropriate frequency. Most sound waves OTOH do 
> not.
> In fact they are "off" by many orders of magnitude. Hence my suspicion that 
> this
> is the reason for the difference in speed between sound and heat in a solid.
>
> >Do you have any idea of how high the Q of the resonance would be?  You might
> find that energy is stolen away by the nearby atoms quickly.
>
> I think measuring the speed of heat transport in the solid answers that
> question, since that's exactly what's happening when heat spreads. I.e. energy
> is transferred to other atoms. The Q must be pretty high, since the speed of
> heat spread is usually very low, except in metals where it is also spread by
> free electrons.
>
> >
> >
> >It would be interesting if you could calculate a similar resonant frequency 
> >for
> the motion of just the nucleus.
> >Displace it slightly and allow it to wiggle back and forth within its 
> >electron
> cloud that is somewhat confined by the atoms surrounding it.
>
> 99.975% of the mass of an atom is in the nucleus, so this *is* essentially 
> what
> I calculated.
> Since the nucleus is effectively suspended friction free in a mesh of electric
> fields (think springs), that explains why the Q is so high.
>
> >I wonder if a free atom in space exhibits a resonance of this nature?  One
> might think that in free space that the electrons would compensate for the
> nucleus movement so quickly that it would immediately radiate the energy.
> [snip]
> Regards,
>
> Robin van Spaandonk
> http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
>
>

Reply via email to