The answer is yes if the atoms are excited and take the form of dipoles.

Cheers:  Axil

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM, David Roberson <[email protected]> wrote:

> FANO?  Is that a yes to my question?
>
>  Dave
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Axil Axil <[email protected]>
> To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
> Sent: Thu, Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm
> Subject: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV
>
>  I wonder if a free atom in space exhibits a resonance of this nature?
>
> Look into the FANO resonance.
>
> Cheers:   Axil
>
>  On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM, David Roberson <[email protected]>wrote:
>
>> Because it is just wrong!  Kidding Robin.  Now I am confused a bit,  are
>> you calculating that if I displaced an atom by a tiny amount and let go of
>> it that it would begin to vibrate at that frequency as the energy damped
>> out?  Maybe so, I was not thinking of that process.  I assumed that you
>> were figuring out the vibrations due to the temperature of the metal.  If
>> what you calculated is accurate then an incoming photon of that frequency
>> would easily be absorbed by one of the atoms and start it vibrating in
>> place.   Do you have any idea of how high the Q of the resonance would be?
>>  You might find that energy is stolen away by the nearby atoms quickly.
>>
>>  It would be interesting if you could calculate a similar resonant
>> frequency for the motion of just the nucleus.  Displace it slightly and
>> allow it to wiggle back and forth within its electron cloud that is
>> somewhat confined by the atoms surrounding it.  I wonder if a free atom in
>> space exhibits a resonance of this nature?  One might think that in free
>> space that the electrons would compensate for the nucleus movement so
>> quickly that it would immediately radiate the energy.
>>
>>  Dave
>>
>>
>>  -----Original Message-----
>> From: mixent <[email protected]>
>> To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
>>  Sent: Thu, Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm
>> Subject: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV
>>
>>   In reply to  David Roberson's message of Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:31:29 -0500 
>> (EST):
>> Hi,
>> [snip]
>> >>I may have calculated incorrectly, but I get a base resonant frequency for 
>> >>the
>> >Ni atom in it's lattice of something like 4E11 Hz. This is obviously way 
>> >more
>> >than normal sound, but matches a photon frequency just below the bottom of 
>> >the
>> >IR, meaning that THz frequency thermal photons should be able to excite it
>> >readily.
>> >[snip]
>> >Regards,
>> >
>> >Robin van Spaandonk
>> >
>> >http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
>> >You must be off in that calculation for some reason.  The kinetic energy 
>> >due to
>> temperature should give you a direct measure of the velocity.
>> >Dave
>> >
>> >
>> What does the velocity due to thermal energy have to do with the resonant
>> frequency of atoms in the lattice? The atoms are in a rigid lattice. That 
>> means
>> that at least for small deviations from their current location, they are
>> harmonic oscillators. I derived the spring constant from the energy required 
>> to
>> cause the lattice to melt and the normal atomic spacing. Then I derived the
>> fundamental frequency from the spring constant and the mass of a Ni atom. The
>> frequency I got was 4E11 Hz.
>>
>> Why is this wrong?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Robin van Spaandonk
>> http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
>>
>>
>

Reply via email to