Because it is just wrong!  Kidding Robin.  Now I am confused a bit,  are you 
calculating that if I displaced an atom by a tiny amount and let go of it that 
it would begin to vibrate at that frequency as the energy damped out?  Maybe 
so, I was not thinking of that process.  I assumed that you were figuring out 
the vibrations due to the temperature of the metal.  If what you calculated is 
accurate then an incoming photon of that frequency would easily be absorbed by 
one of the atoms and start it vibrating in place.   Do you have any idea of how 
high the Q of the resonance would be?  You might find that energy is stolen 
away by the nearby atoms quickly.


It would be interesting if you could calculate a similar resonant frequency for 
the motion of just the nucleus.  Displace it slightly and allow it to wiggle 
back and forth within its electron cloud that is somewhat confined by the atoms 
surrounding it.  I wonder if a free atom in space exhibits a resonance of this 
nature?  One might think that in free space that the electrons would compensate 
for the nucleus movement so quickly that it would immediately radiate the 
energy.


Dave



-----Original Message-----
From: mixent <[email protected]>
To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV


In reply to  David Roberson's message of Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:31:29 -0500 (EST):
Hi,
[snip]
>>I may have calculated incorrectly, but I get a base resonant frequency for the
>Ni atom in it's lattice of something like 4E11 Hz. This is obviously way more
>than normal sound, but matches a photon frequency just below the bottom of the
>IR, meaning that THz frequency thermal photons should be able to excite it
>readily.
>[snip]
>Regards,
>
>Robin van Spaandonk
>
>http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
>You must be off in that calculation for some reason.  The kinetic energy due 
>to 
temperature should give you a direct measure of the velocity.
>Dave
>
>
What does the velocity due to thermal energy have to do with the resonant
frequency of atoms in the lattice? The atoms are in a rigid lattice. That means
that at least for small deviations from their current location, they are
harmonic oscillators. I derived the spring constant from the energy required to
cause the lattice to melt and the normal atomic spacing. Then I derived the
fundamental frequency from the spring constant and the mass of a Ni atom. The
frequency I got was 4E11 Hz.

Why is this wrong?

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html


 

Reply via email to