In reply to  David Roberson's message of Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:31:29 -0500 (EST):
Hi,
[snip]
>>I may have calculated incorrectly, but I get a base resonant frequency for the
>Ni atom in it's lattice of something like 4E11 Hz. This is obviously way more
>than normal sound, but matches a photon frequency just below the bottom of the
>IR, meaning that THz frequency thermal photons should be able to excite it
>readily.
>[snip]
>Regards,
>
>Robin van Spaandonk
>
>http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
>You must be off in that calculation for some reason.  The kinetic energy due 
>to temperature should give you a direct measure of the velocity.
>Dave
>
>
What does the velocity due to thermal energy have to do with the resonant
frequency of atoms in the lattice? The atoms are in a rigid lattice. That means
that at least for small deviations from their current location, they are
harmonic oscillators. I derived the spring constant from the energy required to
cause the lattice to melt and the normal atomic spacing. Then I derived the
fundamental frequency from the spring constant and the mass of a Ni atom. The
frequency I got was 4E11 Hz.

Why is this wrong?

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html

Reply via email to