I wonder if a free atom in space exhibits a resonance of this nature?

Look into the FANO resonance.

Cheers:   Axil

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM, David Roberson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Because it is just wrong!  Kidding Robin.  Now I am confused a bit,  are
> you calculating that if I displaced an atom by a tiny amount and let go of
> it that it would begin to vibrate at that frequency as the energy damped
> out?  Maybe so, I was not thinking of that process.  I assumed that you
> were figuring out the vibrations due to the temperature of the metal.  If
> what you calculated is accurate then an incoming photon of that frequency
> would easily be absorbed by one of the atoms and start it vibrating in
> place.   Do you have any idea of how high the Q of the resonance would be?
>  You might find that energy is stolen away by the nearby atoms quickly.
>
>  It would be interesting if you could calculate a similar resonant
> frequency for the motion of just the nucleus.  Displace it slightly and
> allow it to wiggle back and forth within its electron cloud that is
> somewhat confined by the atoms surrounding it.  I wonder if a free atom in
> space exhibits a resonance of this nature?  One might think that in free
> space that the electrons would compensate for the nucleus movement so
> quickly that it would immediately radiate the energy.
>
>  Dave
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: mixent <[email protected]>
> To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
> Sent: Thu, Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm
> Subject: Re: [Vo]:Explaining Cold fusion -IV
>
>  In reply to  David Roberson's message of Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:31:29 -0500 
> (EST):
> Hi,
> [snip]
> >>I may have calculated incorrectly, but I get a base resonant frequency for 
> >>the
> >Ni atom in it's lattice of something like 4E11 Hz. This is obviously way more
> >than normal sound, but matches a photon frequency just below the bottom of 
> >the
> >IR, meaning that THz frequency thermal photons should be able to excite it
> >readily.
> >[snip]
> >Regards,
> >
> >Robin van Spaandonk
> >
> >http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
> >You must be off in that calculation for some reason.  The kinetic energy due 
> >to
> temperature should give you a direct measure of the velocity.
> >Dave
> >
> >
> What does the velocity due to thermal energy have to do with the resonant
> frequency of atoms in the lattice? The atoms are in a rigid lattice. That 
> means
> that at least for small deviations from their current location, they are
> harmonic oscillators. I derived the spring constant from the energy required 
> to
> cause the lattice to melt and the normal atomic spacing. Then I derived the
> fundamental frequency from the spring constant and the mass of a Ni atom. The
> frequency I got was 4E11 Hz.
>
> Why is this wrong?
>
> Regards,
>
> Robin van Spaandonk
> http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
>
>

Reply via email to