Hi Peter and others using Entourage,

Is anyone who uses Entourage,  backing up Entourage using Time Machine?
If so have they been checking their Entourage backups to see if there is any
corruption?

Why I ask is I have always understood the main issue with Time Machine and the
Entourage database isn't just because it is backed up every hour filling up
hard drives, but because the database daemon is running at all times and could
do some garbage collection during a copy and end up corrupting your copy.

Microsoft has confirmed that the Office 2008 database gets corrupted by Time
Machine backups.
See the Microsoft KB article here: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946961>.

Note the line in the "More Information" paragraph that says, I quote, "If Time
Machine starts an automatic backup while Entourage 2008 is modifying the user
database, the backup process may damage the backup copy of the user database."

The only option is to exclude the Entourage database from the Time Machine
backups, and back up your database via other means (when Entourage is not
running).

Maybe with Office 2010 Microsoft will break up that monolithic database into
something TM can back up ... yeah, and Cows might Fly ;-)

PS. I'm so relieved that I have my 17" MacBook Pro back with a new Logic Board
installed.
Huge thankyou to Daniel (for organising, delivery & pickup) & Nick at Joondalup
(for the repair).