Hi Peter, I have a tutorial (with screenshots), for transferring your documents, music, and photos from WindowsXP & Vista to Mac using an external hard drive. It shows Transferring your Files in Windows to your External Hard Drive, and then Transferring your Files from the External Hard Drive to your Mac.
It is 16 page PDF 1.9MB file size. If the Tutorial would be of any assistance to you, I can email it to you 'Off List'. Cheers, Ronni On 04/02/2010, at 8:44 AM, Crisp, Peter wrote: > > Hi folks, I have undertaken a few tests with my father Severin and am > now happy that Mail/iCal/Calendar will give me all I want and at the > same time solve the back-up issues that Entourage was causing. It seems > all the info that you have all relayed to me have answered all my > queries and it is the better technical solution and has no downsides. It > will of course take a little time to get used to the different 'look' of > the apps, but this will be minor in the whole scheme of things. The main > influencing factor for me is how Mail treats each separate incoming > email in isolation (and hence the backup ramification is far simpler) as > opposed to a revision to a monolithic database. > > So there! > > Thanks to you all for help in putting me at ease. > > I intend to do the migration over this weekend time permitting and then > shortly after move all my historical emails/Contacts out of Outlook to > Mail/Contacts respectively. > > Regards > > Peter... > > -----Original Message----- > From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On > Behalf Of Peter Hinchliffe > Sent: Wednesday, 3 February 2010 8:33 AM > To: WAMUG Mailing List > Subject: Re: Entourage bug > > > > On 02/02/2010, at 11:18 AM, Crisp, Peter wrote: > >> I wondered how long it would take for someone to suggest this > "solution" - thanks John for raising this one. Having come from a > Windows background, I find it hard to move to a program (Mail) that > doesn't have Contacts and Calendar functions integrated into the one > app. Mail is just one part of daily activity and within Entourage (like > MS Outlook) it is a nice integrated look and feel, not to mention > logical, to have Mail/Calendar/Contacts integrated into one app. >> >> Can Mail/iCal/Contacts be managed in the same way? >> >> I am not 100% settled on Entourage and prepared to consider > Mail/iCal/Contacts but it seems retrograde to use 3 apps for what one > app can manage albeit with this bug. Maybe Microsoft will arrange a fix > for this or maybe I'll use the noted work-around (a la Time Machine > Scheduler) for the temporary "solution" to my problem. >> > > It really makes no difference to the user experience whether Mail, > Calendar and Contacts are all in the one entity or three separate > applications. The Mail experience certainly proves this with its use the > Data Detector. Mail interacts with Address Book directly, and Data > Detectors allow you to add dates and events directly to your iCal > calendars, and even interact with Google Maps. It all happens > seamlessly. > > What does matter is that Address Book and iCal data are system-wide, and > therefore available to other software if the author chooses (Bento being > one obvious example). This is difficult if not impossible with closed > systems like Entourage. You'll have to duplicate your contacts in > Address Book anyway to get access to this system-wide functionality. > Microsoft software still retains it's own little ecosystem within Mac OS > X (even down to the clipboard), and does not really sit well with modern > Mac software. > > -- > > Peter Hinchliffe Apwin Computer Services > FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer > Perth, Western Australia > Phone (618) 9332 6482 Mob 0403 064 948 > -------------------------------------------------------------------- > Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to. > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>

