Hi, Neil

Good news about you getting it to work now I've added some more information
to your points from your previous e-mail.



> Check System preferences, Accounts, login items – still no EyeTV helper –
> is this perhaps installed during the set-up process


Yes you are correct this happens after you have completed this set-up
process.


Check inside the EyeTV application package – EyeTV Helper is in the
> Resources folder


That is correct it is also then copied to /Library/Application Support/EyeTV
 After the setup process


 Elgato EyeTV Hybrid (Previous Generation) into the USB port closest to the
> FireWire 800 port


As various members have mentioned on the mailing list previously Intel iMacs
most USB ports are not created equal as they using a USB hub internally. on
this computer the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid (Previous Generation) must be always
plugged into this USB ports. more information below


Start up the computer  - EXCEPT it didn’t start!! - Got the chime, got the
> white screen but no “counting clock” - left it for quite a while but finally
> switched off with the power button.


This is actually good news. (But it really shouldn't happen. But it does)
Why it's good it means the iMac is finally recognising the Elgato EyeTV
Hybrid (Previous Generation).


Now I’m panicking – thinking I’ve bricked my iMac (about 2 weeks after
> warranty expired!) - however, I disconnect the EyeTV and UPS USB plugs (just
> the keyboard now) and try re-starting – and it starts up OK. I run disk
> verification and repair permissions (yes, I know it doesn’t sound like it
> was a disk problem – it didn’t get as far as looking for a system disk – but
> it can’t hurt eh? - everything looks fine).
>

Next time don't panic just unplug the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid
(Previous Generation). And wait a few minutes and the computer will proceed
with the boot process once it's gotten to the next step you can plug in
the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid (Previous Generation).

The reason I believe this happens is the problem I mentioned earlier
with "EyeTV
Helper"


>    - With EyeTV software running – unplug & re-plug – the picture picks up
>    where it left off – no problems.
>    - Quit EyeTV – unplug & re-plug – EyeTV launches (my preference
>    setting) and the picture picks up where it left off – no problems.
>
> You should never have any problems doing this while the device has been
recognised by the computer. but you may have some problems after a reboot


>
>    - Unplug EyeTV, restart the iMac and re-plug - EyeTV launches and the
>    picture picks up where it left off – no problems.
>
>
if you ever have problems again unplugged the device before shutting down
your computer than re-plug the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid
(Previous Generation) into the computer use the same USB port I mentioned
earlier. if you encounter the same problem mentioned above are follow the
steps mentioned there and then continue on

Alsoif your computer has problems shutting down just unplug the Elgato EyeTV
Hybrid (Previous Generation) and it should continue the shutdown process.
(Did not experience this on my current iMac was on the previous model)


So, touch wood, it all seems to be running OK – thank you VERY MUCH Kyle –
> without your specific order of actions I would have said I had done
> everything there already!! I’m not used to things being quite that touchy.
>

You Are Welcome, I know a lot about problems with EyeTV 2 and 3 and with
the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid. Also I will send you some more information tomorrow
regarding the problems with the MacBook Pro

--
Regards Kyle
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check Out My New Website For Articles And Other Great information.
Website: http://kylekreusch.co.cc/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kyle Kreusch: - This E-Mail Was Dictated Using MacSpeech Dictate, [i]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Unsubscribe - <mailto:[email protected]>