Without adding to the fuel on the flamewar fire,...

But yes, if people don't want to become a financial member, there is nothing
stopping them from reading the list still and deciding if/when they require
help, they can then sign up.

There is a lot of cost involved in running the list, hosting, and other costs.
Let alone the time and resources that the Committee put in behind the scenes.
(of which they receive no monetary reward, it's all their time and resources
put in for free). There is no "real" advertising on this list. (Have you been
to some of the other lists that have advertising everywhere?).

Plus you only have to look around at other support costs.
Apple charge $99 per incident outside of Applecare warranty. (or the free 90
day phone support).
Go to a Genius bar? You'd probably spend $30 on petrol/travelling costs/your
time/parking costs! lol
Other places charge $20-$75 for phone/email support. (myself included I have a
fee for email support/consulting. As does Ronni for her offlist support). Which
is fair enough if places want to charge. As someone else said it's a user-paid
world we live in today. Lawyers, Accountants etc all charge. People have to
make a living.
So compared to the single support cost, this yearly membership is well worth it.

And lastly, from the survey that was done, most people were happy to pay a fee
and comments were that the list should/could be paid. That was a survey
completed by the members, and the committee spent a long period of time
discussing it. (let alone getting it all place).

I could go on, but I think they are the main points I wanted to make.
Again, I'm not trying to add to it, I'm just adding a few of my own views,....

Enjoy! :o)

Kind regards
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 4s